League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: Last Pre Season Game check

By GrandadB - League Admin
7/11/2023 10:19 pm
OK, we're at the last pre-season game and you need to check and bear down on where you are at as far as play selection and diversity.

The first "goal" is to use over 30 different offensive plays out of 40 active. You should also be getting a spread of calls between the personnel and formations, other than GL. You should have the GL offense personnel at zero on your slider control, otherwise, the Ai coach will use it in non GL situations, like 1st and 10. It will also trigger use of the GL defense, which is why it is best to limit its use to GL situations only, by rule. If you are not sure how to do that, the rule is posted and is a sticky in this forum. If you need help with it, please send me a PM. The most that I have seen so far is 37 different offensive plays used in a game.

Second goal is to use 22 or more defensive plays out of 30 active. To do so, you need to have your Secondary and Linebacker settings all the same, other than LB Blitz2+. The best that I have seen so far is 27 defensive plays used in a game.

This is a transitional season for getting play diversity and full selection of plays. It is a cooperative effort to make it work. Scouting is very important, not only for your team but for your opponents. Let your opponent know if you spot anything that is not "kosher" or not in the spirit of what we are trying to do. Plays being used more than 10 times is not acceptable, the goal is 5X or less max, with the calls being mostly 3X or less. Defense is harder to get a good spread of calls as there are 3 "layers". 1. Personnel - Normal, Nickel, Dime, Quarter, GL
2. 10 Secondary and 5 LB coverages, and 3. formations (335, 43, 46, etc). So, you need to make sure you have plays called from each and to get an even spread of use, other than the 4 deep secondary, which is very limited use if at all. I try to get the 4 deep used a couple of times per game.

If you are having a hard time figuring out what to do, PM me for help. cheers! G

Last edited at 7/11/2023 10:22 pm

Re: Last Pre Season Game check

By GrandadB - League Admin
7/12/2023 5:17 pm
Defensive play diversity includes using Nickel, Dime, and Quarter defensive plays. Not selecting 25 or more 43/46/34 Normal defensive plays. When you scout your opponent, make sure you check the defensive play use and variety. Let your opponent know as early as you can, preferably before the mid-week sim, if you see overuse of Normal defense with a majority of 1 and 2 LB blitzing, that is the prescribed method for "4.6 Optimum", which is what we are trying to get away from.