League Forums

Main - League Help

Re: Throwing to the flats... HELP!

By outdooreli
8/19/2018 10:01 pm
Figured I'd use this thread to see if I could find some advice amongst you experts. I've been playing this for a year and half and haven't run into this issue before...

Since the new sim has taken effect, my highly rated QB just can't stop throwing to the running back, even when there are multiple receivers open. 100 intelligence, 100 field of vision, 100 passing release, 100 accuracy, 100 arm strength, 99 look off defenders and he just keeps doing the same thing!

There are too many examples (my RB/FB have 126 targets, my WR only 112!! And that doesn't even account for the fact that I put my best TE at FB because this problem kept occurring) -- but here's a good example from my last game. See link below. First play is a wasted pass to RB, second goes to FB. QB is staring at RB the whole time and throws a dumb pass.
https://dfl.myfootballnow.com/watch/1845#329230

I have three theories:
1. My QB just sucks for some reason. I put the backup in for a game, though, and he kept making these throws too, so that seems unlikely.
2. My playcalling needs to be revamped. This is likely, since there are some plays that have checkdowns and flats routes that seem to be called at lot. Maybe I need a new playbook/new coach. But, the WR's are generally out in routes too, so I'm not sure why they don't get first priority, which leads me to...
3. My WRs are horrible and can't get off the line in this new sim. The CBs jam them and the QB just decides there's no one open and throws it to the checkdown/flat route.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Good luck for the rest of the season to the rest of you. I'm going to try to turn this around, but it won't be this year!
Last edited at 8/19/2018 10:01 pm

By Otterpop
8/22/2018 7:30 pm
There is nothing wrong with your QB...

This new version of MFN is throwing the ball a lot to the HB. Why? There are many theories and if check the various boards you can read them all

Here are my thoughts on the subject. The QB is going to throw the ball to the player he feels is open and has finished his route. In most cases, this is going to be the HB/FB because their routes are just a quick sprint to the flat. So in my option, this is the reason you are seeing more passes to the HB.

As far as your receiving Core, including the TE, they are not the fastest bunch but there are owners in MFN that use these types of players with great success. Since they are not the fast bunch they appear open but their route is not complete thus the QB is not going to throw to them even though. The theory of the new version of MFN was the QB would still see this and throw the ball to that WR but for me it doesn' seem to occur as often as it should.

So, in a nutshell, I think your QB and WR core are fine. But you may need to re-vamp your playbook knowing that if you want more to plays to WR you need to find routes that they can complete quickly and still gain the necessary yards to move the ball down the field.

By outdooreli
8/23/2018 2:02 pm
Thanks a lot for the reply. Good to hear I'm not the only one having this issue.

I did a re-set of my playbook to add more 5 WR, 1RB/4WR, 1RB/3WR plays and, at least in one game so far, things are looking a little better. Now I just have to get my players familiar enough with the new plays that they can actually execute. I had a lot of wild throws in the last game -- where the receiver was open but the throw was off!