League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: NFL History

By GrandadB - League Admin
4/12/2020 11:02 am
Gale Sayers was incredible, he had a record setting season going in 68 when he had his knee taken out vs the 49ers, I was watching that game on tv when it happened. He had racked up 862 yards after 9 games with a 6.2 ypc average, for a Bears team that went 7-7. He still finished leading the league in rushing after missing the last 5 games!! He said "give me 18 inches of daylight, that's all I need". If you havnt seen the movie "Brians Song", I highly recommend it. Sayers came back the next season, after knee ligament tears (which were usually career ending in the 60s) and gained 1032 with a 4.4 apc. for a team that went 1-13 !!! He had another knee injury that season and that was it, two more seasons of injuries and sidelines were the end of his amazing career. He still holds the record for most TDs by a rookie, 22, thats a long time!!!

Last edited at 4/12/2020 11:11 am

6/24/2020 1:48 pm
Hard to believe the last post in this thread was 3 months ago!

The following is considered one of the top 20 football pictures of all time. Dave Parks catching the game winning TD pass from Joe Montana in the 82 NFC playoffs. I remember watching the game on TV when it happened, there was something almost magical about it.

6/28/2020 5:13 pm
Here's a great black & white picture from the 60's. Charger WR Lance Alworth (Hall of Fame) on the sidelines with HB Dickie Post. Post was the AFL Rookie of the Year in 1967 and led the league in rushing in 1969. Alworth is my fav player of all time.

By CCSAHARA
6/29/2020 8:30 pm
The way Sayers he ran he was knee injury waiting to happen. Don't know how, but he made straight legged cuts.
Last edited at 6/29/2020 8:31 pm

6/30/2020 2:56 pm
He was unique, his speed and smooth cutting style, and acceleration were as good as it gets.
I was watching a pre-season game, Bears vs Packers, and Sayers took a pitch heading for the weakside, he was surrounded by the 3 starting LBs, with Nitschke in the middle. He threw his leg, like a hurdle move, similar to the way he looks in the picture that I posted of him, right into the middle of the three and pulled it back as they all collided and he went right around them, only time Ive ever seen that move done. He did it again to the Packers, it is shown as one of the runs in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ftn68PZSws
Last edited at 6/30/2020 3:06 pm

6/30/2020 2:58 pm
Speaking of the great Ray Nitschke .... not much needs to be said, does it.

Last edited at 6/30/2020 3:01 pm

7/04/2020 3:00 pm
Dante Lavelli

College: Ohio State
Pro Career: 1946-1956 Cleveland Browns (AAFC/NFL) HOF: 1975
Lavelli was the top All-America Football Conference receiver as a rookie and scored the winning TD in the 1946 AAFC title game. A four-time all-league selection, “Glue Fingers” caught 386 passes for 6,488 yards, 62 TDs during his career. He had a record 24 catches in six NFL title games.

Last edited at 7/04/2020 3:02 pm

By Gustoon
7/04/2020 4:41 pm
Absolutely love you doing these , keep em coming, very interesting

7/05/2020 1:37 pm
Roosevelt "Rosey" Brown Jr. Offensive tackle for the New York Giants from 1953 to 1965. He previously played college football for Morgan State University.

After being selected with the 321st pick in the 1953 NFL Draft, he appeared in 162 games for the Giants, missing only four games in a 13-year career. In his prime, between 1956 and 1963, he helped lead the Giants to six division championships and the 1956 NFL Championship Game. He was selected as a first-team All-NFL player eight consecutive years and was also selected to play in the Pro Bowl nine times. He is considered one of the best last round draft picks ever made. On top of all that, he also was drafted by and played for the Chicago Cubs! One of the best two sport stars of that time.

Last edited at 7/05/2020 1:42 pm

8/15/2020 3:30 pm
The LA Rams team in the 50s caused a major shift in the pro game offense. The Rams developed a passing attack that had not been seen before, and just blew teams away. Receivers "Crazy Legs" Hirsch and Tom Fears (both in HOF) were the tandem that racked up the yards & TDs. I had the pleasure of meeting Tom Fears, over drinks in the clubhouse after a "Ye Olde Rams" golf tournament in So Calif around 1984. He was in his late sixties at the time, and in tremendous shape. One of the old Ram linemen got wasted (there was a lotta drinkin goin on) and hit the floor, he mustve weighed close to 280 or more. Fears picked him up off the floor with ease!, slung him over his shoulder, took him outside to the parking lot, and dumped him in the back of his truck! Will never forget seeing him do that, and he didnt say a word, was a real quiet guy, no nonsense, tough! In his playing days, he didnt look like a WR, he was built more like a LB. His number was 55, so Im betting that he did play LB, at least in college. When I met him it was long after Fears had been head coach of the expansion NO Saints. His life and career are a real interesting story, he was the first Mexican born player in the NFL. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Fears

Last edited at 8/15/2020 5:46 pm