League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: NFL History

By GrandadB - League Admin
8/17/2020 5:25 pm
Great story Steelers! and you are absolutely right about power & speed at the pro level. People really dont know or realize what it is as you cant tell much difference when players are playing each other at that level. The speed, power, and quickness is a whole different level from college, just like college is to high school. I was a WR also, HS (caught 8 TDs my senior yr, all-league), junior college (decided to not take non-scholarship offer at UCLA), college (Cal Poly Pomona), and Semi-Pro (San Gabriel Valley Saints). A lot of us in semi-pro would talk about try outs and such, and the primary subject was the incredible difference in speed and quickness. That's why a lot of top rated QBs in college never make it in the pros. They cant make that adjustment, the speed of the read, the importance of 1/100th of a second to make a decision where to throw.

By Steelers1313
8/17/2020 5:38 pm
Well, you certainly faired much better than I did in my attempts to make the pro's!

When I got to college I found other things to chase rather than a football.

I shoulda stuck with a football... lol.

8/17/2020 8:30 pm
In addition to football, I also chased other things, got married and had to quit football after my Junior year. She was worth it, lol. Was the baton twirler at our high school, we got together at the homecoming dance after I had graduated the year before.

Add on to your story about Moon: He graduated in 77 from U of Washington, after leading them to the Pac 10 title, no easy deal in the 70s with USC and all. After playing for the Eskimos in the CFL for 6 years and winning 5 Grey Cups, the Oilers got smart and signed him (sort of like finding a great FA in MFN). After that, all he did was rack up a career good enough to get him into the Hall of Fame, and well deserved. Moon played in the NFL for 17 seasons!! In addition to the 6 he had in the CFL!! Thats 23 years total pro career! Awesome

Last edited at 8/17/2020 8:50 pm

8/17/2020 9:08 pm
Side story: When I played semi-pro, we had a guy on the team who we called "The Swede". He was around 6'3, 230 maybe. He played OT and DT, both ways. Very quiet, smiled all the time, very light skinned and blond hair, (we figured him for a Swedish guy, lol). The remarkable thing about him was that he was in his 50s at the time and played real well, a real oddity. The second oldest guy on the team wasnt near 30. We wondered what the Swede did for a living, someone said he was real smart and a computer programmer, when computers were just becoming a household item. So, its about 15 years later, I'm watchin TV and a story comes on, I think it was ESPN, called "Mr Football", and it was about the Swede!! and he was still playin!!!!!!! I about fell out of my recliner when I saw that, I was runnin around the house like a crazed cannibal with the pot overflowin, lookin for my wife to come see, lol. What a shocker that was, he mustve really watched his diet, and of course, didnt drink booze or smoke. Talk about longevity and playin on the line! His blocking technique was textbook perfect, he was a real student of the game. We had a lot of characters in the semi-pro league, 95% of the guys knew they had no chance of moving up, but it didnt matter, they just loved to play, like the Swede. I used a lot of ice during that time, learned how important it was. lol.
Last edited at 8/17/2020 9:16 pm

By Steelers1313
8/17/2020 9:21 pm
Yah, Moon was a piece of work all right.

That's a crazy story! I can't imagine playing football past even 30, let alone as long as the swede! I can throw out my back just getting our of bed too fast now, getting old sucks, unless your Swedish I guess! lol.

By Gustoon
8/18/2020 1:14 am
Talking about respect for these top athletes.

We had a guy come and play for us, he was Olympic speed. His name was Jason Livingstone. He wasn't very big, abut 5' 8-9".
So I was playing FS in a scrimmage, I knew the play backwards and knew all about pursuit and angles..... for normal players lol.
So this dude, somehow managed to squirt through a gap in the d-line and was suddenly into the second level, I had him in my sights and had the angle on him despite him being on the other side of hash marks.
As he broke though he momantarily looked my way and knew I had the angle on him to snuff his run out, I swear he smiled and dropped down at least 2 gears and was off....dust, dust thats all what was left......TD.
EVERY player was laughing and clapping, coaches too. Dude was just electric and I had never ever seen world class speed up close before. These guys are elite and a class of their own.

Unfortunately for Jason he wasn't really a football player and had too many fumbles.... ha ha

8/22/2020 4:40 pm
Steelers1313 wrote:
Yah, Moon was a piece of work all right.

That's a crazy story! I can't imagine playing football past even 30, let alone as long as the swede! I can throw out my back just getting our of bed too fast now, getting old sucks, unless your Swedish I guess! lol.

I searched for oldest football players, here's another great story, 68 yo Michael Lynch article in 2018. He caught a TD in the league championship game, what a great moment for him and his teamates! The other teams coach refused to accept the excessive celebration penalty, what class and sportsmanship!! https://www.news-journalonline.com/sports/20180519/68-year-old-michael-lynch-playing-semi-pro-championship-football

Last edited at 8/30/2020 2:37 pm

By Steelers1313
8/31/2020 4:47 pm
I was just looking at the picture of Moon in Houston again and noticed the name of HOF'er Munchak in the pic in his usual LG spot (I missed that the first time).

Just goes to prove, you need a good oline to go anywhere in the NFL !

The Steelers owe Munchak a great deal of thanks for building their powerhouse of an Oline too, although the line is getting a bit long in the tooth now, but aren't we all!
Last edited at 8/31/2020 4:50 pm

9/14/2020 2:02 pm
Not historical, but he will be, Aaron Donald is to the DL what LT was to LBs. Watched him in opening game last night vs Dallas, what a force he is !!, OC's have to plan just for him as far as how many doubleteams they have to do and in what situations. Already 2 time DPOY.

and now the Rams helmets match their uniform blue, looks a lot better than last season

AD rackin up his first sack of the season last night, down goes Dak
Last edited at 9/14/2020 2:07 pm

By Steelers1313
9/16/2020 9:41 am
With the looming Seahawks-Cowboys matchup coming up my mind instantly wentback to the real NFL playoffs in 2019 between the two teams when Hurns was injured. Gruesome, had to watch it again. Forgot the Dallas Olineman was so mortified he had to walk away. Gotta admit, watching his ankle bone snap does send shivers down your spine.

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I20iKREE180

Fortunately, Hurns played again of course. I am admire his courage and toughness. Football ain't for the weak! Glad I never had any major injuries playing any sports aside from a broken wrist, playing basketball of all things. Far less painful than what happened to Hurns (the ensuing two surgeries was more painful than the break! lol)
Last edited at 9/16/2020 9:46 am