League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: NFL History

By GrandadB - League Admin
8/15/2021 7:01 pm
Chicagobears wrote:
The younger Manning.

Also the 2004 Eagles were coached by Andy Reid, not Vermeil, who already retired after a championship with the Rams. Those 1980 Eagles were coached by Vermeil. Both lost in super bowls.

Kinda funny that the two QBs that Brady lost against were not HOFer types or rated at the top of the rest of the league's QBs. Forgot about Reid/2004, dont even remember the game and who they played against. Looked it up and saw that Brady/Pats beat the 2004 Eagles 24-21, which was their 3rd Super Bowl win in 4 years. Amazing that they would meet again 13 seasons later and the Pats having the same QB. Then Brady wins it again with the Bucs, just an incredible career for a QB that no one really wanted in the draft, and the Pats taking him with their 6th round pick, without high expectations.

By Chicagobears
8/16/2021 1:28 am
Tom Brady combine results...
40 Yard Dash: 5.30 seconds
40 Yard (MPH): 15.44 (MPH)
20 Yard Split: 2.99 seconds
10 Yard Split: 1.77 seconds
Bench Press: (N/A) reps (225 lb)
Wonderlic: 33 (0-50)
QB Ball Velocity: (N/A) (MPH)
Vertical Leap: 24.5 inches
Broad Jump: (N/A) inches
20 Yd Shuttle: 4.38 seconds
Three Cone: 7.20 seconds
Shuttle Split: (N/A) seconds
60 Yd Shuttle: (N/A) seconds
Four Square: (N/A) seconds
Height: 76.4 inches
Weight: 211 pounds
BMI: 26.03
Arm Length: 32.75 inches
Hand Size: 9.38 inches
Wingspan: (N/A) inches
Birthdate: 8/3/1977

By standards, he's slow, overweight, and has average smarts. But look what he's become.
Last edited at 8/16/2021 1:32 am

8/16/2021 1:54 am
Exactly, I watched and ESPN special about it, Mariucci/49ers really took a hard look at Brady, he was also from the Bay area and the 49ers were his team growing up. It was close, they almost took him, and may have invited him to camp, but the Pats made the best pick in history, lol.

I think one of the "intangibles" in evaluating a college QB for the NFL, is the ability to "read" a defense in less time than they did in college. The difference in speed is close to the jump from HS to college. If someone created a good system to test that, a combination of video game and on-the-field performance, they would make a real good income from NFL teams. They spend a lot of time measiuring the physical capabilities, but not the mental. Its the reason why a lot of Heisman winners dont make it in the NFL.

By Chicagobears
8/16/2021 2:36 pm
Only mental test is the Wonderlic. In a score of 0-50, its inaccurate as it can be. First used by Landry with the Cowboys and later popularized the league. You don't see Ryan Fitzpatrick (48) winning 6 rings like Brady did with his score of 33. Same goes for low scores, Frank Gore scored just 6 out of 50 while Akili Smith scored 37. The only player to score 50 is Pat McInally (who?), mainly punter and sometimes played WR, and played his full 10 seasons in Cincinnati.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nfl/news/wonderlic-scores-nfl-highest-lowest-combine-history/e60oggcptcx616ly9p96bmt7q
Last edited at 8/16/2021 2:39 pm

8/19/2021 12:21 pm
Yeah, there should be a substantial upgrade in testing and evaluation tech with the advances in video and puter tech, where a qb evaluation on decision making based on NFL increased speed and less time to read, it has to be quick and a good QB has to know the routes that his receivers are running, not just the primary. There's also the difference in stepping up into the pocket, which is where QB height comes into play, and was a problem for "Johnny Football", the days of Fran Tarkenton types are over as DL & LB speed has increased substantially, LT was a good indication of what was coming as a threat to the QB livelihood, lol. Here's a pretty good article on the subject. Lets team up and develop a QB evaluation system, find a tech firm that can meet our "specs". What a great job that would be, QB consultants. 100k per eval. lol
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-nfl-is-drafting-quarterbacks-all-wrong/

Last edited at 8/11/2022 4:10 pm

By Chicagobears
8/19/2021 12:35 pm
The thing is, they still haven't found the formula that separates hits from bust, neither have we. In this game, some guys just are better based on performance, not traits.

You can have a 60 AI rating QB playing with decent playmaker better than a 80 AI QB with those same playmakers. Not sure what everyone's personal weights are, but the 80 AI obviously has way better traits except 6 points lower in arm strength.

Anthony Mora, 59 AI QB: https://truefans.myfootballnow.com/player/1799
Charles Dziedzic, 79/83 AI QB:
[https://truefans.myfootballnow.com/player4081
Note: CAL is my team, playmakers depth change little to none.

It's in Truefans, perfect example.
Last edited at 8/19/2021 12:37 pm

8/19/2021 1:06 pm
I agree, and have both had QBs and seen others that defy their atts/rating with outstanding performance and vice-versa. But, as the article points out, the NFL admins/scouting have been making mistakes costing gazillions of $'s. Same as in baseball before "Moneyball" proved its value. There are intangibles, but also examples of red flags, like Manziel and his attitude and lack of work ethic/dedication. He was able to get away with it in college, but not the pros. How do you find a Brady? The Pats had the good fortune of seeing enough in him to take a flyer on him with their 6th round pick. What did they see that all the other teams didnt? It wasnt just a guess, they had rated as high as the 3rd round, but they did not have a need at QB. They were shocked to see him when their 6th round pick came up, what does that say about the other teams who did have a need at QB at that time? They missed the boat bigtime. Good article about it ....... https://www.si.com/nfl/talkoffame/nfl/pioli-patriots-brady-and-2000-draft

Last edited at 10/29/2021 10:55 am

1/24/2022 2:59 pm
How about the NFL playoff games this past weekend! They were really something, great drama and endings, Im just real glad Im not a die hard fan of one of the four losing teams, it mustve been total misery in Green Bay and Buffalo after those games. Green Bay is the toughest ticket to get in all of sports. All of the seats are season ticket holders, and there is a waiting list of over 60,000 to get a seat. I noticed the amazing amount of people who were still in their seats after the game, like they were in shock, and in that freezing temp! amazing. Great QBing in those games, happy for Stafford getting a chance to win it all, getting by the typical Brady incredible comeback to tie it up, and ironic that the former Buc kicker kicks the killer against them. Burrow overcoming all the sacks and pounding, the 9ers getting a punt block for TD (which is justification for being expelled in MFN, lol), what were the odds of that?? And lastly but not least, Allen vs Mahomes, and the 13 seconds left from the KC 25 for getting a FG try. Great football drama.

Last edited at 6/27/2022 5:11 am

6/27/2022 5:14 am
I was lucky enough to get invited, by a friend who was a former Ram (LB Rick Kay) to a golf event with former Ram & NFL players in So Calif back in the early 80s. After playing golf we had a great time at the "19th hole", will never forget meeting and drinking with guys like Tom Fears, Pat Studstill, Jack Snow, and this guy, know who he is? He had an incredible build, like he could pick you up and break you in two! Heard a story about him picking up a big guy intruder to the weight room who was challenging players to a fight, he picked him up over his head and threw the guy out the door! lol One of the old Ram linemen got drunk and passed out on the lounge floor, he had to weigh at least 260, Fears picked him up and slung him over his shoulders and carried him out to his truck and tossed him in the pickup bed, lol. Fears was in his 70s at the time!!

Last edited at 6/27/2022 5:23 am

8/11/2022 6:55 am
This is a thread where you can post your favorite old NFL players and stories, so feel free to add to it. When I first really got into football, 6th grade, the AFL was my fav league, they had the best logos and team names, Chargers, Oilers, Patriots, Jets, et al. It was a crowning moment when the AFL won its first Super Bowl, the 3rd one, after the Packers had won the first two. The Jets were a 17 point underdog going in against a Colt team that was "unbeatable", had decimated the regular season and playoffs, the Colt defense was the best there was up to that time, 1969. I remember watchin the game and rooting for Joe Willy and the Jets, and the pulled off the greatest upset in SB history.

Edit add: I just looked back through this thread and saw that I had posted about Joe & the Jets before, but it deserves another anyway, lol.

“I try to explain that it wasn't an arrogant line; it was an angry one. I was at the Miami Touchdown Club dinner at the Miami Springs Villa, and I was up at the mike, and someone yelled something nasty from the back, and I said, 'Wait a minute, let's hold on. You Baltimore guys have been talking all week, but I've got news for you, buddy. We're gonna win the game. I guarantee it.'"—New York Jets quarterback Joe Namath, explaining his most famous quote, made three nights before Super Bowl III, quoted in Bill Speros, "Namath's Call Will Stand Test of Time--Guaranteed," Orlando Sentinel, Aug. 22,2008
Last edited at 8/11/2022 7:37 am