League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: NFL History

By Steelers1313
8/16/2020 10:57 am
ok, can someone please dumb something down for me. How do I post an image? I have read other forums and posts and tried everything. Ok, admittedly, I am not the sharpest knife in the block!

Here is the actual pic I am trying to insert (I don't just want the link).

https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/news-photo/warren-moon-of-the-houston-oilers-drops-back-to-pass-news-photo/1187733826

I tried pasting the link between url and /URL and between
Last edited at 8/17/2020 2:40 pm

By Steelers1313
8/16/2020 11:31 am
Awesome story!
Last edited at 8/17/2020 12:32 pm

By GrandadB - League Admin
8/17/2020 1:06 pm

Im not anywhere near as good as a lot of Gen Xer's on here, lol. The way I do it is to google seasrch a pic, click on the one I want, and then right click on it, then click on "copy image address", and paste that inside the "Image"
Last edited at 8/17/2020 1:08 pm

By Gustoon
8/17/2020 3:03 pm
Steelers1313 wrote:
ok, can someone please dumb something down for me. How do I post an image? I have read other forums and posts and tried everything. Ok, admittedly, I am not the sharpest knife in the block!

Here is the actual pic I am trying to insert (I don't just want the link).

https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/news-photo/warren-moon-of-the-houston-oilers-drops-back-to-pass-news-photo/1187733826

I tried pasting the link between url and /URL and between

By GrandadB - League Admin
8/17/2020 3:06 pm
Great pic of Moon, but too huge!! lol. We need to figure out how to size the pics now, ha! That takes a photo editor, and I wouldnt try it on a smart phone, cant see for sh*t. And thanks for participating in the thread Steeler, we could use a few more like you and Gus.

By Gustoon
8/17/2020 3:50 pm
GrandadB wrote:
Great pic of Moon, but too huge!! lol. We need to figure out how to size the pics now, ha! That takes a photo editor, and I wouldnt try it on a smart phone, cant see for sh*t. And thanks for participating in the thread Steeler, we could use a few more like you and Gus.

Its a full Moon lol

By Gustoon
8/17/2020 3:56 pm
"When looking at one of my favorite players on the NY Jets in Darrelle Revis, I can’t help but remember the career of one of the best cornerbacks the franchise ever had in Bill Baird.
Revis has been the focus in many Jet conversations this year. His signing this past off season electrified the fan base like no other signing this year. Fans conversations started to proclaim Revis as the greatest Jet corner of all time, and of course the greatest in the history of the game. Undoubtedly, he is a rare talent and deserves the accolades. I love to watch the guy play corner.

Anyway, this article isn’t about Revis. The conversations this year concerning cornerback and safety, got me thinking of some of the great corners that Jet fans have been privileged to watch over the years. Every era of Jet fans have their favorites. Guys like Aaron Glenn, James Hasty, Erik McMillan and Bobby Jackson were a few that came to mind. At safety I began to think of Victor Green, Ronnie Lott, Jim Leonard and Darrol Ray. I know my readers can add to these short lists and I hope we can discuss them in the comment section at the end of this article.

This article isn’t about them either though. For this one, I wanted to look back at a rare talent from the early days of the Jets. That player was the incredible Bill Baird. I don’t hear Baird discussed much anymore, but he was a joy to watch play the game. I’m dating myself again, but I had the privilege to see him play growing up as a Jet fan.

Baird was a unique talent at both cornerback, safety and kick returning. Whether Baird was leaping in the air to pick off an opposing quarterback, or if he was breaking tackles as he dazzled in the kick return game, there was no doubt of that talent you were watching. He was a big part of the Jets when they were in Super Bowl III, as he combined with Jim Hudson, Randy Beverly and Johnny Sample to shut down the famed Colts wide receivers that day."

By Steelers1313
8/17/2020 4:30 pm
Once I figure out why my idiotic brain can't copy and paste, I will post a story (not saying it's a great one!) along with that photo, stay tuned.... lol

By Steelers1313
8/17/2020 4:41 pm

By Steelers1313
8/17/2020 5:14 pm
It worked, it worked! Thank you GrandadB and Gustoon! I'm still thick as a post but it worked!
I am still not sure what i did wrong, but whatever. And, yes, now I gotta figure out how to downsize the image...

So, here's the story I was going to tell:

When I was in high school I was, by my own admission only perhaps, the 2nd fastest kid in the school, was the best receiver, and they called me the hawk when I was on the D side as a CB. Like everyone here I think, football was my life, still is too ! lol.

Since we had no NFL teams where I grew up I didn't meet any NFL players except one: Warren Moon (when he played for the Edmonton Eskimos prior to heading off to the big green, as in moulah, pastures of Texas.)

I watched Moon regularly. Well, anytime my dad could get off work early and take me as we had to come in from out of town. In those days they weren't terribly concerned about liability so fans pretty much stood right on the sidelines at practice and they were almost all open practices, except for once playoffs began. If you got run over, that was your fault. The player would often help you up, ask if you're ok, and that's it. not so much anymore sadly.

Moon was particularly friendly with the fans. As kids, we would run our favourite receiver's route tree (or try to chuck a ball like Moon) near the sidelines just as he was running his and then compare how we did. After the practice the players always stayed around for half an hour or so talking to kids, playing catch, signing autographs, and giving them tips and chatting with the dads about life in general, it was awesome. Moon was a fan favourite. Back then, many of the players even had their names published in the local phone books and they would talk to you occasionally in the off season.

Anyway, one fine summer day, being cocky as I was, I was watching Dave Fennel do his thing. Dave was a nosetackle, and perhaps one of the best ever to play in the CFL, now a CFL HOF. They called him Dr. Death, he was a machine. I watched Moon evade him easily every time he came near him.

I thought, I can't beat Moon, or any other WRs in a footrace, but Dr. Death is sloth! Dude is just a tank on wheels, I could clean him easily. So, I challenged him to a footrace, and he accepted! We agreed to do a 50 yard dash.

Well, he hit the 50 cleanly before I even smelled the 30. I was so humbled! I also gained a huge appreciation for what it would be like him hitting you as a QB with that speed and size coming at you (he sounded scary just hitting the ground!) Ever since then, I have had a wicked respect for the speed and power of the big boys! I also never raced a CFL player again after that! (we ended up moving away the next year, not that I was afraid to lose again! lol)

I can't imagine what made Moon go, heck, Fennell doesn't scare me, I wanna go play in the NFL where nosetackles are even bigger and faster! Or, maybe Dr. Death being on his heels every day in practice prepared Moon a bit for NFL life!

Either way, Moon left a legacy in Edmonton and in the NFL and I think part of his success was his way with the fans combined with his skill in the field.
Last edited at 8/17/2020 5:20 pm