League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: NFL History

By GrandadB - League Admin
8/18/2022 2:36 pm
trslick wrote:
Yes, so many memories, even the places and fields played on, so much I have forgot, sadly!

Mix of personal football memories, pick up games at the local school, Jr High Flag (where I didnt make the team), High School (no one thought I could play, ended up starting WR my senior year and All League), Jr College, College, Semi-pro, open tryout invite by the Chargers (there were over 60 WRs in that tryout, 3 were selected to go to camp, none of them even made the practice squad), coaching HS, and then all the college and pro games watched and some bet on, lol. Big part of my life. Last game I went to was with my brother, Notre Dame at Stanford, incredible tail-gate at Stanford, 5 yrs ago, couldnt see the game very well from where our seats were, my eyes were goin bad and have continued to do so. My brother is arranging for a family and friends tailgate and game in Fort Worth, Kansas State vs TCU, that will be in Oct.

Last edited at 8/18/2022 2:38 pm

1/12/2023 11:48 pm
A classic moment in NFL history, known as "The Hit", when Eagles feared LB, "Concrete" Chuck Bednarik, just clobbered NY Giants RB Frank Gifford (later to be famous announcer) in 1960. Gifford was knocked out cold, and taken out of the game. This was at a time when there were still a lot of 2 way players in the NFL, which would soon become a thing of the past.

Last edited at 1/12/2023 11:52 pm

1/13/2023 12:09 am
Having just taken over the 0fer Vikings, thought it would be fun to look back at some famous Vikings, like the "Purple People Eater" DL from the late 60s and early 70s. That nickname is a reference to a popular song from 1958, the awesome pressure/rush of the defensive line, and the color of their uniforms. The motto of the Purple People Eaters was "Meet at the quarterback." There was Jim Marshall (HOF), Carl Eller, and ?

Last edited at 1/13/2023 12:14 am

By trslick
1/13/2023 11:52 am
Alan Page and Gary Larsen, what a bunch, I think they were all pro bowlers!

By amalric7
2/06/2023 10:13 am
GrandadB wrote:
A classic moment in NFL history, known as "The Hit", when Eagles feared LB, "Concrete" Chuck Bednarik, just clobbered NY Giants RB Frank Gifford (later to be famous announcer) in 1960. Gifford was knocked out cold, and taken out of the game..

Gifford was out of the game, 'retired', for 18 months but made a comeback as a flanker instead of RB and played three more seasons from 1962-64. He is still the Giants career TD record holder with 78.

Sam Huff, the Giants Hall of Fame MLB said of Bednarik's hit, which he saw from the sideline, "I used to lie awake at night wondering what it would be like to hit someone like that." Gifford always said the hit was clean, he just never saw Bednarik - the last of the two-way players - coming.

2/19/2023 9:37 pm
The Eagles and Chiefs SB game was a real good one, with the Chiefs getting the winning score in last minute. But it couldnt take anything away from the amazing game and win in Super Bowl LII/2018 by the Eagles, 41-33 over GOAT Brady and Patriots. Was the first and only SB win for the Eagles, and their first NFL championship since 1960 !!! What a party it must have been that night in Philly. QB "Saint" Nick Foles had an amazing run after taking over for injured Wentz at the end of that season. Great story about Foles and what he was able to do, his excellent performance throughout the PO's, very few knew that he had an injured elbow, remarkable feat in NFL history. Since that magical run, Foles has struggled, did not do well with the Bears and got hurt last season for the lowly Colts and was not the starter.
https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2022/8/22/23316225/nick-foles-legendary-super-bowl-run-eagles-somehow-even-more-impressive-realized-colts-frank-reich

Last edited at 2/19/2023 9:53 pm

2/26/2023 8:28 am
You know you had a pretty good career when you are voted into the HOF on first eligibility, and also have the NCAA award for receiving named after you. He was also remembered for the vast amount of stick-em that he would have on him, DBs hated covering and tackling him as they would get it all over them.

Last edited at 6/26/2023 6:53 pm

4/12/2023 2:50 am
The 1951 LA Rams (they had moved to LA from Cleveland) took the passing game to a whole new level, setting the stage for the modern era of the NFL. All 3 are in the HOF. The Rams were the first to have distinctive helmet logos, the horns.

WR Elroy "Crazy Legs" Hirsch QB Norm Van Brocklin
WR Tom Fears
Last edited at 4/12/2023 2:54 am

4/12/2023 2:58 am
Anyone carrying the ball did not want to see Ray Lewis coming at them, and many times they didnt see him coming.

6/26/2023 6:59 pm
amalric wrote:
Sam Huff, the Giants Hall of Fame MLB said of Bednarik's hit, which he saw from the sideline, "I used to lie awake at night wondering what it would be like to hit someone like that." Gifford always said the hit was clean, he just never saw Bednarik - the last of the two-way players - coming

My best buddy from HS and also on our JC team got hit like that, his name was Fritz. He was our kicker & punter. The opposing teams punt return guy got tackled right in front of him, and he relaxed, putting his hands on his hips just before the whistle blew. A guy who had been running for 30 yds at full speed hit him right under the chin, just as he looked up to see it. He went up in the air, parallel to the ground, and flew back at least 5 yards. I was standing near by on the sideline. He hit the ground out cold, straight as a board. We must have replayed that hit on film about 10 times in the Monday team meeting, lol. He was OK, luckily, they used smelling salts or something similar to bring him back and get him on his feet. But he was super woozy, ha!
Last edited at 6/26/2023 7:05 pm